The Health Effects of Mold on Kids
Talk to an expert.
Due to the growing air pollution, more and more kids are facing breathing & allergy issues. These issues sometimes become more severe and result in alarming allergic and other health issues or even death. Keeping the environment clean and tidy can help us in preventing many unknown health issues. Mold exposure in the house is one of the many reasons that cause breathe and allergy issues in kids. A very few people know about the mold, its health hazards, even the majority of the people do not know what harms mold can do with their kids’ health. After reading this article, you would be able to know about the mold, its effects and how to prevent it.
What is Mold?
Mold is a kind of fungus, black spots and sometimes, white spongy patch conditions and spores emerge on wet areas of the house. In most of the cases, mold can appear on lower areas of the walls, roof ceilings, washrooms, kitchen, basement floor and around the drains and under the floor carpets.
Kids’ Health is at Risk in Mold Affected Environment:
The kids who have already breathing issues, allergies, asthma, and other lungs and respiratory issues can be affected by the presence of the molds in their environment. As compared to adults, kids can be affected badly by the harms of molds because their immune system is less strong than elder ones. The severity of the effect of the molds on kids’ health varies according to types of mold present in the house. According to the different medical researches and investigations, people living in a mold affected environment could face the following health issues;
- Time to time coughing
- Constant sneezing
- Irritation in throat
- Influenza conditions
- Breathing difficulties at night
- Cold & fever
- Lungs infection
- Irritation of the skin
- Eyes inflammation or itching
Depending on exposure and the kinds of the mycotoxins present in mold, it can make the asthma conditions worse; hard to breathe properly, cause skin allergies, lungs issues, and eye infection. Kids are easy prey of mold’s effects because they have delicate skin and weak immunity system.
How to prevent the Mold Effect:
Damp and wet places in the home are ideal places for molds’ production because they need a wet and hot environment to grow fast. There are some simple measures through which we can make our environment safe from the hazards done by mold.
- Clean your kids’ rooms daily and point out the places where molds are growing.
- Remove the molds in their initial stage that will prevent further molds’ production.
- If you have installed the carpets and rugs in your kids’ rooms then make sure you clean them with vacuum cleaner on a daily basis.
- Keep the indoor environment dry and hot in winter.
- White-wash and paint your rooms once in a year.
- Call a medical physician OR your family doctor immediately if your kid is facing severe & constant breathe & allergic conditions or infection because of mold.
- Keep the air-conditioning a place dry and drain pipes flow well.
- Fix the leaking areas as soon as possible.
In case of constant mold production in your home, better to call mold removal experts to find a constant solution.